Local History Society Programme
Cotton Methodist Chapel in the Bury St Edmunds Methodist circuit stands beside the B1113 road which divides the villages of Cotton and Bacton.
Services are held at 10:30am every Sunday with other meetings as announced. A welcome awaits all who attend these services.
Methodism came to Cotton when some local people returned after hearing some of Rev John Wesleys preachers in Diss in 1779. At first meetings were held in a cottage, then in a barn until a chapel was built on the present site in 1814 with three galleries around the building. When that became too small it was demolished and the present building erected for £1000 in 1877. Each year a chapel anniversary is held in February.
Kind thanks to Mr G Cuthbert for the following information.